The new millennium arrived for Rock St Patrick's GFC with the club now firmly established in Tyrone Football. Eunan McGinn remained in charge, with Rock now back playing Intermediate football in the new re-structured Division 2. Well the new league and the new status did not hinder this young Rock team, as they finished 3rd in the league. This meant they had to play Loughmacrory in a play off to decide if they could enter Senior Football for the first time in the clubs history. The match was played in Dungannon and in very poor conditions and after a long and hard tussle in a game which Rock deserved to win they lost out by 4 points. In the Championship Rock progressed to the quarter final after beating Gortin, but Beragh on the day were to good for them.

Ciaran Gourley wins Ulster and All-Ireland Under-21 titles with Tyrone.

Martin Kolbohm referees his 2nd All County Senior Final between Errigal Ciaran and Carrickmore.


Rock St Patrick's GFC hopes for 2001 were to go one better and make the Senior status but unfortunately the hard work and highs of the previous year, meant Rock struggled to find any form. In the league they had to settle for a mid table position and a 1st round exit in the Championship at the hands of Greencastle. It is also proved to be the last year in charge for Eunan McGinn as he was to step down at the end of the year. During Eunans reign however Rock made significant progress in Tyrone football and probably were one of the most improved sides at this time.

Ciaran Gourley wins Ulster Senior title with Tyrone he also plays for Ulster in the Railway Cup

Martin McCreesh wins Ulster Minor title and All-Ireland title with Tyrone Minors.

2002-Senior Citizens

After a wide search for a new manager/trainer Rock St Patrick's GFC selected Peter Bayne for the 2002 season. His new style of approach, give the Rock team new hope and results in the early part of the league were very convincing. After a dismal performance in the Championship against Dregish who were bottom of the table, Rock went on to win the league and make history, by achieving Senior status for the first time in the clubs history. No one could have ever believed that a small club like Rock St Patrick's GFC could ever achieve just an honour. All the hard work from the clubs formation in 1916 had finally paid off.

Ciaran Gourley wins National Football league title with Tyrone as they win their first ever title.

Division 2 League Champions 2002


The year began as the previous year the search for a new manager/trainer, due to the fact that the highly successful Peter Bayne had moved on. PJ McGlinchey was awarded the job and his task of keeping Rock in Senior football proved to be difficult. From the offset injured players and player fatigue from the long previous season was to be Rocks downfall in the Senior grade. Rock were not able to get a run off results going and by mid season PJ McGlinchey had stood down, with Martin Hackett and Eugene Mullan stepping in to see if they could swing things around. But with more injuries and young players been brought in Rock were to be relegated from Senior football, but not without a fight. In the Senior Championship Rock playing for their first time in the O'Neill Cup, were drawn against Killyclogher. On the day they were well beaten by 3-14 to 1-4, however Killyclogher were to go on and win the trophy for their first time.

Ciaran Gourley wins another National Football league title with Tyrone another Ulster Senior title with Tyrone. But magnificently Ciaran Gourley wins All-Ireland Senior title with Tyrone as they win it for the first time. Ciaran also picks up a nomination for an All Star.

Martin McCreesh wins another Ulster Minor title with Tyrone Minors.

The Sam Maguire Fairytale

On the County front Tyrone success continued as they beat Laois in the National Football League Final at Croke Park and after a replay they trounced Down to win another Ulster Senior title in Clones. So onto the All-Ireland Quarter Finals where Tyrone beat Fermanagh with 19 points to spare in a one sided game in Croke Park. Tougher opposition lay in wait for Tyrone in the semis as the Kingdom of Kerry where planning Tyrone's downfall but not this time as Tyrone won on a score line of 0-13 to 0-6. Happy days lay ahead an all Ulster Final for the first time ever against Armagh. The build up was magic and with the Rock's Ciaran Gourley fighting back from injury "what a day" he was handed the number 2 jersey. Tyrone lead 0-8 to 0-4 at the interval but their was little between the two sides. The second half was similar to the first and when Brian White blew the final whistle Tyrone had done it 0-12 to 0-9. The scenes were unreal and the homecoming was jubilant and it was the winter of 2004 before Sam arrived at Rock St Patrick's GFC to fulfil a dream for young and old.


After all of the hype and celebrations with Tyrone winning the All-Ireland the previous year and with some celebrations still on-going, it was back to Intermediate football for Rock St Patrick's GFC. The committee and players had giving Martin Hackett and Eugene Mullan the backing to take over the reins of team management for the 2004 campaign. After a hard campaign and still injury problems Rock managed a mid table postition and they remained in the Intermediate League and in the Championship Rock lost out to neighbours Pomeroy.

Rock Minors won the Grade 3 League and the Under-16's lost in the Grade 2 Championship Final. Peter Gervin wins MacRory Cup medal with Dungannon Academy.

Tragedy struck the Tyrone Senior team with the sudden death of Cormac McAnallen a few weeks after he had lifted the McKenna Cup with a convincing win over Donegal. Galway ended their run in the semi-finals of the NFL after a replay and Mayo ended Tyrone's hopes for 2 in a row when they beat them in the quarter-finals of the All-Ireland. They also lost their Ulster crown in the semi-finals to Donegal.

The clubs long serving Referee and the most successful in the history of Rock St Patrick's GFC retired from his post. Martin refereed at all levels fromYouth to Senior at County Level and also at the highest in Inter-County Level. Martin's record is very impressive as he has been in charge of 3 All County Minor Finals, 2 All County U-21 Finals, 2 All County Senior Finals, 1 Ulster U-21 Final, 1 Standby NFL Division 2 Final, 1 Standby All-Ireland Club Championship Final, 10 NFL and numerous other Inter County Competitions including the McKenna Cup.

Martin Kolbohm



Hopes were high for Rock St Patrick's GFC for 2005 with Eunan McGinn and Declan Muldoon taking the team management. A return to senior football would of been the clubs goal, but unfortunately Rock struggled for the entire season due to injury problems, the unavailability of several players and the lack of commitment from other key players. Rock county star Ciaran Gourley was out for most of the season with a serious knee injury, while county U-21's Martin McCreesh and Stephen Mullan took time outfor several months in the USA. The management had to call on the young guns from the reserves and minors for most of the season and to be fair they done their utmost best to keep Rock in intermediate football. After a crucial playoff game with Greencastle, which Rock lost by a last minute goal Rock were to be relegated to Division 3. After a hard year Rock finished with: Played 22, Lost 19, Draw 3, and Won 0. In the championship Rock lost in the first round by 0-14 to 1-3 to eventual winners Aghaloo.

On a brighter note the Reserve Team managed by Sean Kolbohm and Damien Hoy had a fine season with a mid table finish and a good championship run saw them narrowly defeated in the semi-final by a strong Greencasltle outfit on a scoreline of 2-10 to 2-8.

Senior Player of the Year : Barry Coyle

Reserve Player of the Year : Cathal McWilliams

Minor Player of the Year : Barry McAleer


The minors had a fairly good season in the Grade 2 section after finishing runners up in their section they were eventually beaten in the league semi-final by Omagh on a scoreline of Omagh 3-11 Rock 0-3. In the first round of the championship Rock led for most of the way against eventual Omagh but they were pegged back in the last quarter and eventually lost on a scoreline of 1-12 to 1-10.

Pride of place in the club for 2005 went to the U-14's and the U-16's as they both won their Grade 3 Championships. The U-14'sunder Ciaran Gourley struggled in their league section only winning one game but they went the whole way with victory against Moy in the Championship Final. The U-16'sunder Darren and Gerard Mullan managed 2 victories in their league section but they went the whole way also with victory against Glenelly in the Championship Final.

U-14 Grade 3 Championship Final Winners Rock 2-4 Moy 0-8

U-16 Grade 3 Championship Final Winners Glenelly 1-4 Rock 3-6

The U-12's also had a good year in their Grade 3 Section they finished 3rd with 4 wins from seven. In the Cumann na mBunscol Sacred Heart Rock chalked up the following treble:

Tyrone & Ulster Sevens Indoor Champions Tyrone Sevens Outdoor Champions The Monsignor Denis Fall Cup Winners

Club News

Rock St Patrick's GFC Committee 2005

Chairman: Cathal Cush

Assistant Chairman: Pat Maguire Treasurer: Stephen Carroll Assistant Treasurer: Micky McAleer Secretary: John Toner Assistant Secretary: Seamus Carroll PRO: Gerard Mullan County Board Rep: Sean Ruddy Youth Officer: Ciaran Gourley

Committee John Gervin Darren Mullan Joe O'Neill Cathal Clerkin Dominic Murphy Malachy Murphy

Referee: Kevin Cassidy

The lotto was still our main fundraiser for 2005, with a Poker Classic also aiding to club funds. The annual dinner dance was also well attended in the Glenavon Hotel Cookstown. The Annual Liam Heaney U-12 tournament was an outstanding success this year again with Dungannon winning the 'A' tournament beating the holders Clonoe in the final and Donaghmore defeating Galbally in the 'B' final.

Gabriel McGurk sadly died at the age of 30 in October after a long illness. Gabriel was a player with the club from youth level and he steadily progressed to the Senior ranks within a few short years. One of his proudest moments was winning the All County Division 3 League with Rock St Patrick's back in 1993. Gabriel was a dedicated and committed clubman and this was very evident in the mid-90's when Rock St Patrick's were struggling for numbers you could always be sure Gabriel would be there. A gentle giant on and off the field of play, he was an ideal role model for any young player today. He played right up until his illness a few years ago when he could unfortunately no longer continue playing and the Rock club was certainly the worse for this. Rock St Patrick's will never forget the contribution by Gabriel to Gaelic games in the Rock. Rock St Patrick's extend our deepest sympathy to Gabriel's wife Grainne, his father Dessie, mother Agnes, brothers Gareth, Seamus and Oliver and sisters Veronica and Patricia and to the entire McGurk, Kane and Scullion (Bellaghy) family circles on the passing of our team mate Gabriel. May he rest in peace.

Another sad note in 2005 was the death of Jim Loughran on Sunday 7th August. A well known and respected member of the community Jim had been a past player for the Rock and had served on numerous committees. Deepest sympathy is extended to his wife Sally, daughters Fiona and Collette, sister Maureen and all the family circle. May he rest in peace.

The Sam Maguire Fairytale Number 2

After a a semi-final defeat to Wexford in the National League and a quiet opening to the Ulster Championship, Rock Gaels were to be treated to a feast of Gaelic football from the Tyrone Senior Team, that will never be forgotten The Ulster Final produced the start of this great feast of football, it was a dramatic game for Rock Gaels who attended Croke Park when Tyrone were denied victory by a late Armagh flourish. All roads were to lead back to Croke Park on Saturday 23rd July 2005 for a replay with the old enemy. The replay saw Tyrone unbelievably lose out by 0-13 to 0-11 in the dying seconds after a game they totally dominated. Peter Canavan and Stephen O'Neill were sent off by Referee Michael Collins in the latter stages and both decisions which were later overturned cost Tyrone the Anglo-Celt Cup.

So it was the All-Ireland quarter final against the mighty Dubs and it served up one of the greatest games ever to be witnessed in Croke Park. It was nip and tuck all the way with Eoin Mulligan scoring the greatest goal ever to be witnessed in Croke Park forcing it into a replay. The replay was all Tyrone except for a 10 minute spell in the second half which saw Dublin come back at Tyrone.

All roads again lead back to Croke Park on Sunday 4th September for Tyrone's All-Ireland semi-final battle with old rivals Armagh.


One of the greatest games of Gaelic football in the modern era was undoubtedly witnessed by Rock GFC supporters and further a field in Croke Park on Sunday 4th September 2005. Never over the whole 72 minutes was there a moment of dullness. There was rarely never more than two points separating the sides at any stage of the game and it even had the supreme ending, when Peter The Great stepped up to kick the winning point.


Tyrone 1-16 Kerry 2-10

Tyrone triumph in Croker decider

Tyrone claimed the All-Ireland title for the second time in three years with a superb 1-16 to 2-10 victory over Kerry in Sunday's final at Croke Park. Kerry made the better start and Dara O'Cinneide netted for the Kingdom but Tyrone hit back and led 1-8 to 1-5 at half-time after a Peter Canavan goal. The Ulster side dominated the second half although Tomas Ó Sé reduced the gap to one point with a goal. Tyrone stayed in control and went on to secure a deserved triumph.Well done to Ciaran and all involved in the Tyrone camp. Rock St Patrick's are proud of you and it will be a day that will not be forgotten. At the after match celebrations Peter Canavan and Chris Lawn announced their retirements from Tyrone county football.

SCORERS: Tyrone - S O'Neill (2fs), O Mulligan (2fs) 0-4 each, P Canavan 1-1, B McGuigan 0-3, R Mellon 0-2, P Jordan, B Dooher 0-1 each. Kerry - C Cooper 0-5 (2f), D O'Cinneide 1-1 (1f), T O'Se 1-0, D O'Se, E Brosnan 0-2 each.



Rock St Patricks commenced 2006 in Junior ranks and a speedy return to Intermediate status was the goal that the club were hoping to achieve for the 2006 season. Unfortunately after a slow start and a run of mixed results Rock St Patrick's could only a achieve a play off spot against Tattyreagh. This was a closely contested game and Rock St Patrick's just lost out on a scoreline of 2-11 to 1-12. Rock St Patrick's however had a good run in the championship and a narrow victory against Clogher set up a semi-final pairing with eventual winners Greencastle. On the day Rock St Patrick's lost out by a single point and 2006 was to prove a frustrating year with Junior football again on offer for 2007. The Reserves had a mixed year also with a mixed bag of results and the emergence of new talent augurs well for the future.

Senior Player of the Year : Peter Girvan

Reserve Player of the Year : Ryan Crilly

U-21 Players of the Year : John Mallon, Peter Girvan & Eamon Ward

Minor Players of the Year : Aidan Girvan & Ryan Crilly

Junior Championship Quarter Final 19/08/06

Rock 1-7 v 0-8 Clogher

Junior Championship Semi Final 03/09/06

Rock 1-8 v 1-9 Greencastle


No silverware for any of the youth teams in 2006 but a fantastic commitment by all youth players and management provided a good season for all youth teams. The U-13's finished a creditable third place in their section of the league just missing the playoffs by a single point. The U-14's had more success with a league final appearance against Stewartstown but unfortunately they lost out on a scoreline of 3-10 to 2-6. The U-16's finished mid- table in their league section and they lost out to Kileshill in the Quarter-Finals of the championship. The Minors lost out by in the Quarter- Finals of the championship to Eglish on a scoreline of Rock 1-5 Eglish 1-6. After a strong league campaign they made the playoffs and lost out in a Quarter-Final play off to Clann na nGael by 4 points.

Club News

Rock St Patrick's GFC Committee 2006

Hon.Presidents: Fr.John Flanagan, Francie McNally Chairman: John Ward Vice Chairman: Gerard Mullan Secretary: Darren Mullan. Assistant Secretary: Seamus Carroll Treasurer: Stephen Carroll. Asstistant Treasurer: Michael McAleer P.R.O: John Girvan County Board Rep: Sean Ruddy Youth Officer: Ciaran Gourley Committee: James McCreesh, Martin McCreesh, Brenda Bradley, Dominic Murphy, Joe O'Neill, Cathal Cush, Stephen Kolbohm, Thomas Bloomer, Kevin McGeehan, Ciaran Mullan, Cathal Clerkin.

The new chairman for the 2006 year was John Ward the club wished him all the best in his post for the coming year.

The membership was Adult £60, O.A.Ps £20, Players £20, Students £20, 16-18 year olds £5, and Under 16's £2. The lotto was also still the main fundraiser for 2006. Rock also hosted Deal or no Deal in Sculleys restaurant it was a very successful event with Paddy Kolbohm winning first prize. A very successful Players Draw was also held with Pat McAleer (Augher) winning 1st prize of St Patrick’s Weekend for 2 in New York including flights, accommodation and $1000 spending money. Mickey Cunningham (Thornhill Road, Pomeroy) won 2nd prize of St Patricks Weekend in Dublin for 2 including accommodation and €500 spending money.

Throughout the year several people were trained in the use of the defibrillator. (A device which delivers a controlled electric shock through the chest wall to the heart, in order to restore a normal heartbeat.) The following people who were trained in the use of the defibrillator were Ciaran Gourley, Pat McGuire, Sean Ruddy, Amelia McWilliams, Martina McGurk, and Bridie Girvan.

2006 was sadly to see Sean Ruddy announce his retirement from the club after many years of faithful service, as a player referee and a committee member within the club.

One of the saddest days in 2006 for Rock GFC was St Patrick's Day when sadly former player, former club referee and former committee member Micky Joe McCourt passed away after a short illness. Also former player and former committee member Dessie McGurk died suddenly and Malachy Murphy committee member also died suddenly. The three men had contributed immensely to Rock St Patrick's GFC over many years and the club will always remember them for their dedicated service.


The Bank of Ireland All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2006 began on Sunday, May 7, 2006. The 2006 championship used the same "Qualifier" system that was used in 2005. Tyrone were the defending champions, but were knocked out by old enemies Derry in the Ulster championship.

Ulster SFC: Quarter-Final May 28th 2006 Healy Park

Tyrone 0-05 Derry 1-08

Defeat against Derry sent Tyrone into the qualifiers with a tough away game to Louth. After an incredible game and extra time the game finished all square. However Tyrone emerged 5 point winners in another tough encounter at Healy Park.

All-Ireland Qualifiers Round 1 17th June Páirc Tailteann: Tyrone 2-16 Louth 2-16

All-Ireland Qualifiers Replay Round 1 24th June Healy Park: Tyrone 1-12 Louth 1-07

Tyrone dream of a third All-Ireland was ended by Laois in the second round of the qualifiers when Tyrone were defeated by 3 points.

All-Ireland Qualifiers Round 2 July 8 Portlaoise: Laois 0-09 Tyrone 0-06

Kerry won their 34th Sam Maguire beating Mayo in a repeat of the 2004 final.



Rock St Patricks commenced 2007 in Junior status with Niall Conway as manager and Paul Conway as his assistant and what a year it was to be. "Everyone still pinches themselves". All County Junior Champions, All County Junior League Champions, Ulster Junior Champions. The Reserves with Sean Kolbohm/Aidan Devlin as joint managers had an excellent year also, a creditible third place in the league and the semi-final of the championship. The U21 with Michael McCourt/John Ward as joint managers done an excellent job also and they were extremely unlucky to lose the Grade 2 U21 final.

Senior Player of the Year : Peter Girvan

Reserve Player of the Year : Ruarai McVeigh

U-21 Player of the Year : Aidan Girvan

Minor Player of the Year : Mark McGorry

The Heroes of 2007

Ulster Championship


Venue: Omagh

04/11/07 Rock 0-16 v Lissan 2-4 (Derry)


Venue: Clones

18/11/07 Rock 2-7 v Killeshandra 0-9 (Cavan)


Venue: Clones

25/11/07 Rock 2-8 v Aghamullan 2-6 (Monaghan)

Junior Championship

Round 1

Venue: Beragh

02/06/07 Drumragh 0-5 v Rock 1-8


Venue: Clogher

22/07/07 Dregish 0-9 v Rock 1-10


Venue: Galbally

26/08/07 Rock 0-9 v Clogher 0-9

Semi-Final Replay

Venue: Carrickmore

02/09/07 Rock 0-14 v Clogher 1-6


Venue: Omagh

30/09/07 Rock 0-12 Beragh 1-9


05/10/07 Rock 1-12 Beragh 2-5


The U-13's were the youth team to collect the silverware in 2007 when they were crowned the All County U-13 Grade 3 League Champions. They defeated Owen Roes on a scoreline of Owen Roes 2-9 Rock 3-8. Congratulations also in 2007 to youth players Aidan McGarrity, Padraig O'Neill & Mark McAleer on winning the Dalton Cup with St.Pats.Academy Dungannon.

Under-13 Grade 3 League Champions 2007

The U-12's took part in the Grade 3 section and a produced some good performances with notable victories over Galbally, Killeeshil and Clogher. The U-14's took part in the Grade 3 section they lost out to eventual winners Stewartstown in the first round of the championship and they finished a credtble third place in their league section. The U-16's took part in the Grade 3 section they lost out to Killeeshil in the first round of the championship and an excellent performance in the league saw them finish second in their section. Unfortunately they were to lose out in the league quarter final play off to Glenelly on a scoreline of Rock 1-4 Glenelly 3-11. The Minors took part in a very strong Grade 2 section in the championship they were beaten by Newtownstewart (AET) in the first round and a credible league performance saw them finish mid table. Excellent victories were recorded against Dungannon and Naomh Mhuire. So for the youth 2007 was an another excellent season, a fantastic commitment by all youth players and management.

Club News

Rock St Patrick's GFC Committee 2007

Honourary President: Fr.John Flanagan

Honourary Vice-Presidents: Sally Hoy, Frank O'Neill, Francie McNally

Chairman: John Ward

Vice-Chairman: Michael McCourt

Secretary: Darren Mullan

Asst. Secretary: Brenda Bradley

Treasurer: Stephen Carroll

Asst. Treasurer: Michael McAleer

PRO: Seamus Carroll

Youth Officer: Ciaran Gourley

County Board Rep: Dominic Murphy

Committee: Stephen Kolbohm, Kevin McGeehan, Kieran McVeigh, Anthony O'Neill, Cathal Clerkin, Kevin Cassidy, James McCreesh,

Declan Mullan, Niall Mullan, Michael McVeigh, Cathal Cush.

The new chairman for the 2007 year was John Ward the club wished him all the best in his post for the coming year. The membership was Adult Adults-£30, couples-£50, students-£5. The lotto was also still the main fundraiser for 2007. The dinner dance took place on Friday 9th February in Greenvale Hotel. The Tyrone summer camp was another success with all the youth being treated to a feast of football and coaching. The Liam Heaney Cup which is the U-12 tournament was won by Pomeroy who defeated Galbally in the final. Throughout the year several people were trained in the use of the defibrillator. (A device which delivers a controlled electric shock through the chest wall to the heart, in order to restore a normal heartbeat). The Youth Presentation Night took place in Scullys on Wednesday 5th December and it turned out to be a very successful night. Four senior players were nominated for the 2007 TeamTalk All-Star Awards, Ciaran Gourley, Martin McCreesh, Stephen Mullan & Aidan Girvan. Aidan was also nominated for Young County Footballer of the year and Young Club Footballer of the year. The awards took place in The Great Northern Hotel, Bundoran on Saturday 1st December.


Our Gala Night took place on Friday 30th November in The Glenavon Hotel, and what a memorable and successful night it turned out to be. Well over 400 people were in attendance to remember our heroes of 1982, who were the first Rock team to win a Junior Championship, and to celebrate our heroes of 2007 who won both Tyrone and Ulster Junior Championships. Special presentations were made to both teams and also to the 2007 management team of Niall & Paul Conway. Adrian Logan kept proceedings moving along smoothly and Benny Tierney and Joe Brolly provided an amusing outlook on events. Also attending were the County Chairman Pat D'arcy and Fr. John Flanagan who was also a special guest. Noel Mullan lead the piping introduction and The Miracles provided the music.

The Heroes of 1982


Plenty of success for Tyrone seniors and minors in 2007 with both Aidan Girvan and Ciaran Gourley to the fore. Aidan Girvan was to make history on becoming the first Rock player to Captain a County team at any level. He was to be a very successful captain indeed as he lifted the Ulster Minor title for Tyrone after they beat Derry. Unfortunately their was to be no success in the All-Ireland series as the lost out to Kerry in the quarter-final. Ciaran and Aidan both lined out at full backs in the Senior and Minor Ulster finals, more history making for the club.

Tyrone maintained their grip on the McKenna cup and they made it 4 in a row when they accounted for Donegal in the final. Tyrone also managed to stay in the top flight of the National league with mixed fortunes and Donegal was to be the 2007 National football league champions when they beat Mayo.

The Bank of Ireland All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2007 campaign began for Tyrone on Sunday, May 20, 2007 against Fermanagh at Clones. Tyrone won by a single point 0-13 to 1-9 with Ciaran Gourley been in the panel. Ciaran played in Tyrones demolition of Donegal in the Semi-final when they won by 2-15 by 1-7. So all roads lead to Clones for the Ulster final and Tyrone overcame a good Monaghan team by 1-15 to 1-13 this victory enabled Ciaran Gourley to add his third Ulster championship medal to his personal tally.

Tyrone were drawn again Meath in the All-Ireland quarter-final and their dismal run against them was to continue when they were beaten by 2-8 to 1-13. Kerry won their 35th Sam Maguire beating Cork by 3-13 to 1-9.